General history

The interest toward the proofs of a fascinating past is one of the key-factors which transforms the regions of the North East of Romania in unique destinations, irresistible for the history fans.

Iasi, although documentary attested only in 1408 by the Moldavia’s ruler, Alexandru cel Bun(Alexander the Good), offers to the visitors buildings even older than this date, such as the Armenian Church, built in 1395. Testimonies of the existence of Iasi reflect in the archaeological discoveries of Cucuteni, in the 3rd –2nd millennium Before Christ.

Today, the city  shows us its agitated history, but also its periods of glamour thanks to its brave leaders.

Since 1564, the city became the capital of Moldavia in stead of Suceava, by the order of the ruler Alexandru Lapusneanu. 76 years later, the first school in Romanian language and a printing establishment in the Trei Ierarhi (Three Holly Hierarchs) Church have been established by the voivode Vasile Lupu.

The city of Iasi has been set on fire three times during its history, by Tatars, in 1513, by the Ottomans in 1538 and by the Russians in 1686. Here, Mihai Viteazu accomplished the union of the three Romanian countries, in 1600. The city of Iasi gave the first impulse to the Romanian Revolution of the 1848 and still in Iasi, on January 5, 1859, Alexandru Ioan Cuza, the founder of the Great National Union has been appointed ruler of Moldavia.

For 297 years, Iasi was the capital of Moldavia, till the two principalities Moldavia and Vallachia have been united in 1862 under the name of Romania, and the country’s capital remained at Bucharest.

During the second world war, upon the order of the Ion Antonescu general, in Iasi took place one of the biggest pogroms in the history of the Jews of Romania, when 13,266 Jews have been killed.

A large part of the historical region of the town has been destroyed in  May 1944, following the difficult fights conducted by the Romanian – German forces with the Red Army, but the in the post-war period, a continuous development of the industry and districts took place.

Being the first city in which an school for engineers (1814) and first university of Romania (1860) have been established, together to the historical and cultural objectives difficult to find elsewhere in Europe, Iasi remains a huge point of interest for the culture, science and history lovers.

The City of Bacau is documentary attested since the period of Middle Age, but there are archaeological proofs of its existence since Neolithic, in the Dacian place of Racatau and in the Cucuteni culture.

Bacau has been first mentioned in 1399 under the name of “Bacovia” or “Ad Bacum” in the archives of Vatican, than the name of the urban settlement appeared in a document concluded by Alexandru cel Bun(Alexander the Good) in 1408 with the merchants of Liov.

In 1467, the Hungarian armies leaded by Matei Corvin have occupied for a while the territory of Bacau, which became than an important custom point for the trade done between the Vallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania. Still in Bacau came and settled down also one of the sons of the ruler Stephen the Great, Alexandrel , who has built the today’s historical monuments, the Royal Court and the Precista Church.

Other town inhabited since Palaeolithic, the county of Suceava was the place when there has been ratified the first centralised state in Moldavia, in 1359 also the native the region of the brave fighters Bogdan I (1359-1365), Petru Musat (1375-1391), Alexandru cel Bun (Alexander the Good)(1400-1432) and Stefan cel Mare(Stephen the Great) (1457-1504).

Suceava has been repeatedly invaded during the history due to its strategic location and the attractive resources, entering under the Austrian domination between 1868 and 1918. During the post war period, in Suceava individual dwelling places have been intensively built, than four and ten levels blocks of flats, the city having a forced development, imposed by the communist regime.

The county of Neamt has its historical mark since the Superior Palaeolithic, the archaeological discoveries and also tools of polished stone, horn, bone and burnt clay attest the fact that the region has been inhabited by one of the most glorious pre-historical civilisations of Europe. Since the second half of the 14th century, the first centres with urban shade such as Roman and Piatra-Neamt distinguishes by a particular importance in the defensive system of Moldavia and in trade, agriculture and production.

The city of Botosani distinguished during the history as an important custom border of the great European Medieval commercial roads, being mainly a centre of commercial exchange and an artisan cradle. The religious places built by the greats voivodes of Moldavia, Stefan cel Mare(Stephen the Great) and Petru Rares have a inestimable architectural value.

The city of Vaslui, mentioned in documents for the first time in 1423, was defined in the 14th century as a “small town”, than became the centre of the big battles with Ottomans during the ruling years of Stefan Cel Mare(Stephen the Great). During the feudal period, the territory of Vaslui has been divided between the powerful land owners and hardly redeemed by the inhabitants in 1880.

In 1968, the city of Vaslui has been called a county seat, attracting investments that have stimulated the economic evolution that was much too slow for 80 years. Now, Vaslui is the most important urban centre of the county.

Newsletter

Loading...Loading...